From the Pastor
When the Lord called our family here in March, I mentioned we would focus on “4 Ps”:
3. Personally Disciple.
4. Be Patience.
As I’ve reflected on 5 months of ministry at TVBC, prayer continues to be the Lord’s drumbeat in all we do. And I bolded pray above because we all know we should pray regularly, but we often don’t. There are numerous reasons for why we don’t pray on a regular basis.
· Life gets busy — We haven’t set aside the time, and a prayerless morning turns into a prayer-less week.
· We think God doesn’t have the time — Our needs seem minor next to the atrocities we read about in the paper — famine, ebola, and genocide.
· We believe we must pull ourselves up by our bootstraps — Our problem is ours, not God’s.
Maybe you find yourself in the list above. If you do, I can assure you, God does have time for you, so you should make time for Him. Your needs, no matter how small, are important to God. As well as trying to handle everything on your own isn’t wise, nor what God wants.
Maybe you don’t find yourself in the above list. Maybe the reason you don’t pray is because you don’t know what to pray.
If that’s you, let me point you to the Psalms. There you will find a wealth of content to guide you in prayer.
Lately, I have been meditating on the Psalms, even praying them at times. Doing so has added a lot of depth to my prayer life. As I was meditating onPsalm 25, I wrote down 11 things to pray for a deeper prayer life that I want to share with you.
11 Things to Pray
· Pray God would help you trust Him more ( verses 1-3)
· Pray for greater knowledge of God (4-5)
· Pray a prayer of repentance (6-7)
· Pray God would instruct and lead you (8-10)
· Praise God for saving you (11)
· Pray God’s name would be magnified (11)
· Pray you would fear the Lord (12-15)
· Pray your emotions and ask God to help you in your time of need (16-18)
· Pray you would respond to your enemies in a Gospel-centered way (19-20)
· Pray for integrity and uprightness in your dealings with others (21)
· Pray for God’s final and complete redemption (22)